Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

She has labored breathing and is standing hunched over since…

Customer Question
She has labored breathing...

She has labored breathing and is standing hunched over since yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A mouse. had her 8 months. gave her oat hay 2 days ago. thats the only thing remotely new and she has had it beforeo

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the mouse's name?

Shayla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shayla?

Bedding was changed last week, same stuff i always have used. other mouse has been running in her wheel this whole time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has she had any appetite loss or any chance she has eaten something harmful?

Any discomfort if you press on her belly?

Any coughing, sneezing or wheezing sounds?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are her inner eyelids or gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

she ate a peanut on thursday which was probably a first. i counted 33 puffs in 10 seconds. everything else seems normal. since i have disrupted her she is moving around but i havent seen her eat or drink anything . i gave them oat hay that they have had before.
no nasal discharge, eyes are normal, no sneezing,

Hello again,

Now to see hunching and labored breathing in a mouse does raise a few concerns. The most common cause is a respiratory infection involving the lungs (pneumonia as opposed to an upper airway infection which would have caused those signs I asked about) but we can also see this with pain from GI disease (ie blockage, tumors, etc). With these in mind, if Shayla's breathing is quite labored then we do need to be proactive. Mice that cannot breathe comfortably won't eat well (as they cannot spare a breath to do so) and can end up dehydrated, weak, and collapsed. Therefore, if she is quite labored, its best she be seen at this point. Her vet can assess her lungs, put her on oxygen if needed and start antibiotics if there is an infection present. They can of course, check for gut blockages (which would carry a grave prognosis for her, as surgery usually isn't an option) at the same time.

Any delay and we need to start some supportive care to see if we can ease her breathing. To do so, you can try steam treatment by taking her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer by making a little ‘steam tent’ with her in a carrier or her cage, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both. (it will do the other mouse no harm). And if she isn't eating/drinking, try tempting her or you can gently give veggie baby food to her. It will of course get some nutrition into her but also fluids. As well, Pedialyte can help get fluids/electrolytes and glucose into her to help keep her getting nutrients until we can get her checked.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

your best guess is an infection? is there a chance she can fight it on her own?

Hello again,

Without examining in person, I cannot narrow this down further but I'd be very suspicious of a mycoplasma pneumonia from what you have described. There is a chance her immune system can fight it off but so often these arise when the immune system is compromised, so if this were my patient I'd not want to risk that and would want her on antibiotics (Enrofloxacin). So, we can try to decongest the lungs to see if we can ease her breathing but ideally we'd want her seen to ensure we nip this in the bud.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

i will consult a local vet about antibiotics.

Hi again,

I do think that is best so we can just get this settled and get her feeling better as quick as possible.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

thanks

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian