Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Gerbil, barking sound, eyes closed won't eat much, bites…

Customer Question
Gerbil, barking sound, eyes...

Gerbil, barking sound, eyes closed won't eat much, bites now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the gerbil's name and age?

Baby, my son got him from the school, age unknown

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the gerbil?

He as lost in the school for two weeks, they found him a couple days ago was

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the gerbil's name?

Name is baby

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/8/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years with special interest i exotic pets.

Can you tell me how often you hear the barking sound?

Any discharge from nose?

Any watery eyes?

Passing normal stools?

Is he passing urine?

Any teeth grinding?

Joan

yellow discharge from nose, normal stool, dont know about urine, chewing on things, eyes mostly closed, some watering
giving it water with a dropper afew times a day, it is drinking the water
it has access to both food and a working water bottle, keeping it warm too
barking sound is less, at night and a few times during the day, perhaps it is coughing?
also, short stubby tail, perhaps it is a hamster not gerbil?

Thank you for the information. You do have a Hamster if it has the short stubby tail.

What you are describing is a Respiratory infection. Unfortunately this will require a Vet visit, These little guys are prey animals and hide illness well and when they can no longer hide it they are very sick and need professional help.

For now you can help by giving small amounts of Pedialyte via syringe or eye dropper. To get some food into him you can try grinding the pellets of his food into a powder and mixing with the Pedialyte and again syringe feeding. These are only fisrt aid measures until you get him into the Vet.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan