Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Urgent help needed. Ok so I have a 90 litre tank and I had…

Customer Question
Urgent help needed. Ok so I...
Urgent help needed.
Ok so I have a 90 litre tank and I had one comet in the tank and two large snails. I recently got two small goldfish. They were doing good until a day ago but tonight my mum calls and said the snail had hold of the fish. I went over and the fish had died. The other one is now floating on its side and not moving much. The large comet is fine.
The fish on its side does hang around the top of tank or around the filter. I did a small water change tonight. So nitrite was 0 nitrate was high around 40 my ph has been off 6.6 and ammonia was between 0-0.25. What do I do I never have had fish die on me I have removed the snails and re home them tomorrow to the pet shop. What can I do to save the remaining fish? I feel awful what do I do? Would the snails have killed them or the levels being off. My mum does over feed them and I tell her not too I do fortnightly water changes of 25% do I need to add more oxygen to the tank? I have a bubbler in their for them kind regards Melissa
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
12/6/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish over 45 years.

I suspect the new fish has swim bladder. The problem is that one Goldfish requires 70L tank. When you added the new fish the water parameters changed causing the High ammonia and Nitrites and the PH to drop. You need to put the sick fish in a hospital tank and add gramsof Aquarium salt per Liter of water. The Aquarium Salt and the new water should help the fish. In the mean time you need to do 25%-35% water changes to get your water parameters normal in your 90L tank. Once you get the water regulated at Ammonia 0, Nitrites0, Nitrates 20ppm and PH 7.0, you can try putting the other fish back in if he has recovered. Right now, he cannot go into the 90L without loosing him.. Continue to check the water Parameters. I also suggest using some Nitrifying bacteria to help get the tank cycled and stabilized.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and concerns. I am here to help.

Joan

How do I get the ph back up I have never had trouble with my ph before it’s always around 7.4? Why would the snail have grabbed the fish? Was it because he knew the fish was sick?

Most likely the fish was almost dead when the snail got it. The snail was doing its job. The Ph will adjust once you can correct the ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I suggested Nitifying bacteria to help stabilize the tank. The Water changes are what will help. The Water was off a bit, but when you added the two extra fish it threw the water parameters off completely. I would proceed with the water changes, get the Nitrifying Bacteria in the tanks and treat the sick fish in a separate hospital tank.

This should help with the water quality issues.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

I cannot see it clearly in the picture, but from what I can see he does not look good. I can give you instructions to euthanize him if you would like.

Mix some water in with several drops of clove oil. Place the fish in the mixture and watch if he falls asleep add more clove oil to make sure he is asleep once asleep add some Vodka into the mix. this will euthanize him peacfully. watch for his breathing to cease and you can bury him. This is not painful and puts him into a deep sleep before euthanizing.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am here for about another hour tonight. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating. Thank you.

Joan

How is the fish doing? did you decide to Euthanize it? We did all we could to treat it, but the fish was very weak. Please let me know. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician