Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

His feathers are missing under one wing and it looks red and…

His feathers are missing...

His feathers are missing under one wing and it looks red and almost raw. He keeps picking at it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?

His feathers are missing under one wing and it looks red and almost raw. He keeps picking at it He is 28 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Under his wing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

As I typed above, feathers are missing and the area looks red almost raw. He keeps picking at the area

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

No He is drinking a bit more water seems anxious

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the bird behaving differently?

Anxious jittery

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Boo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Just that he seems upset and obsessed with picking under the one wing.

12/4/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which breed is Boo, please? Regretfully, such a skin condition is difficult for me to assess from afar. I can envision what you've described, however, as that's a common area for birds to excoriate due to trauma and obsesssive/compulsive behavior following the trauma, nutritional disorders especially in "seed junkies" (see below/vitamin A deficiency can cause dry, itchy skin), bacterial, fungal, and viral infections (viral is unlikely in this case); parasitism (much overdiagnosed); and neoplasia (skin cancer/an important consideration at his age).

Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Do you have an avian vet (www.aav.org) who can look at this area hands-on? Can you upload a photo(s) of the area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you for your reply. I think it is diet & and trauma related. I have a cockatiel and not long ago he had an episode of night fright. Has been following me around ever since. He has a night light and if I hear him getting anxious at night I talk to him so he knows I'm here. He loves his millet sprays. I will try a new diet. He likes a lot of the items you listed. If he does't improve I will text back. Thank you very much for you help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian