Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We have a 30l fish tank. Previously the goldfish developed…

We have a 30l...

We have a 30l fish tank. Previously the goldfish developed purple around the gills & fins, became lethargic, one died. We sterilised the gravel, ornaments, rinsed the plants, washed the tank but now I have the same symptoms with another fish.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the fish tank. What is the fish tank's name and age?

The tanks name & age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the fish tank?

The tank has only been running for 2 months, cold water, has a mini filter & uv led lights in the lid

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the fish tank's name?

Interpet Kids Glow Aquarium 30 Litres

The filter we use is an interpet, takes a cf mini filter cartridge. We currently change 25% of the water once a week & give everything to do with the filter a rinse to clear brown gunk.The plants in the tank seem to have a white fuzz or hair on the leaves.
12/3/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 0ver 35 years and have kept fish over 45 years.

How many fish do you have in the tank?

Do you check the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?

What type of test kit do you use?

Did you just redo the whole tank?

Joan

Hey JoanWe have 5 fish in the tank, 2 larger goldfish & 3 smaller goldfish or fantails even.We have a tetra 6 in 1 paper testing kit, one where I compare the colours to a sample on the back of the packet.When you ask if we redid the whole tank, after the last fish died we had this one left, we kept the 2nd fish in a separate bowl for 2 or more days whilst we cleaned this 30ltr tank. After all was clean we then bought the other fish. So in total we now have 5 like I said above.

Thank you! The problem that you had was due to Ammonia Poisoning. A goldfish actually needs a 75 liter tank. The tank you have is too small for all the fish and the Ammonia built up and caused the fish gill and fins to turn a purple color. The best test kit is an API master test kit. It is test tube type and very accurate where the strips can be off.

Ammonia needs to be 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm or less and PH 7.0. If the readings are higher than these , that means a 25% water change is needed.

Since you restarted the tank, it will go through new tank syndrome. This means it will have to go through the Nitrogen cycle to finally get established. This takes about 6 weeks. During this time the readings will be high and low and will have to be closely monitored. You may still have problems because the tank you have is too small and that is a lot of fish for the small tank.

This is some information on New Tank syndrome:

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/problem-solver-new-tank-syndrome

My suggestion is since this tank is being started all over again, is that you get a bigger tank and use what you have to do the new tank. You Fish will have a better chance to thrive.

Please hit reply and we can discuss this information.

Joan

Getting a bigger tank is not an option. What if we were to give away a fish or two, that should bring down the ammonia levels, yes?As we are now back in the new tank stage & levels will fluctuate quite a bit would it be OK to change the water either more often or a 50% change once a week instead of the current 25%. It's the same tap water we use for each change & it's left out overnight to come to room temperature.Would these routines plus fewer fish help make a healthier environment for the remaining fish, until new tank syndrome is finished.

Never do more than a 25%-35% water change at any time. Get the test kit I recoomended.for best results. You willl need to get rid of all but the Goldfish to stabilize the tank or keep the small fish and get rid of the Goldfish.. You will need to treat the water with a declorinator which takes the chemical out of the water before putting it into the tank. Keeping tap water over night does not remove the chemical and can add to the issues you are facing.

I do suggest adding some Nitifying Bacteria to help start the tank. BioSpira is a Nitrifying Bacteria that will help cycle the tank.

You will want to add some Aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon full per gallon of water when yuo restart the tank. This will act as a tonic to help the fish. When you do a partial water change you remove the aquarium salt. You will need to add the quivilent amount to go back into the tank.

I think if you follow these steps, the tank should be better

Add Nitrifying Bacteria

Add one teaspoon full of Salt per gallon of water

Only do 25-35% water

Lessen the amount of fish

Check the water parameters

Use a Dechlorinator for water before adding to the tank

Please hit reply for discussion.

Joan

OK we have made a trip to the local pet shop and are currently ordering supplies online that the shop did not stock. Thank-you for your help, it was very thorough & informative.CheersChris

You are welcome! If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have gotten a positive rating.

Happy Holidays!

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician