Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 20 or so discus in a 90 gal planted tank are all showing…

Customer Question
My 20 or so...

My 20 or so discus in a 90 gal planted tank are all showing signs of having worms. I have Metronidazole. If I treat the whole tank, will Metro kill the plants... do I need to move the fish to a bare tank?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the fish can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the fish's name and age?

Discus about 9 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the fish's name?

They are discus!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the fish?

No, discus having worms is not unusual. The issue is can I treat them in a planted tank without killing the plants?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pet
12/3/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have Kept fish for over45 years.

I did some research on the Metronidazole and could not find anything saying that it would affect the aquatic plants. They do suggest using the Metronidazole as a dip vs treating the whole tank. Another Option is using a Medicate food containing Metronidazole rather than treating the tank or doing a dip.

All 3 methods are effective, but is up to you as what you feel most comfortable in using. THis is a link for Medicated food: http://store.everythingaquatic.net/medicated-c-25_37/medicated-cichlid-flake-with-metronidazole-p-164

You can also treat the food yourself with Metronidazole and turn it into a gel food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJtSubtIIs

This gives you several options for treatment for your Discus.

Please hit reply to discusss this information.

Joan