Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My bunnies back of the right foot was bleeding but we

Customer Question
My bunnies back of...

My bunnies back of the right foot was bleeding but we stopped it but know he can stand or walk on that foot much today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bunny?

No but my bunny is a boy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
What do I use to clean the wound? I don’t have money to go to the vet for his sake
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

I am sorry nobody has responded sooner. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I will be happy to assist you.

To clean the wound Please dilute some Betadine solution with water to a dark tea colr ( you can get at any store where first aid supplies are sold) Clean with the solution 3-4 times a day. After cleaning Please apply some Plain Neosporin to the injured area. I would make sure the bedding is clean and soft for the foot. I am sure it is sore and even a broken nail can get a Rabbit off the foot. Make sure hay, food and water are close by so the Rabbit does not have too much movement of the leg. Watch for Reness and oozing which could indicate infection. If the wound is kept clean the Betadine and Neosporin should aid with healing.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Can I use hydrogen peroxide instead?

I do not suggest Peroxide. It burns and actually injures the already injured tissues. You can use it but I do not suggest it. It could make the tissue more sore and longer time needed for healing.

Joan

What can I use that does not cost money?

You really need a good disinfectant to clean the wound. If nothing else use the Peroxide, but you need the Plain Neosporin because that is a triple Antibiotic ointment.

You may want to speak to your local Humane Society, many have a free clinic for those people who do not have the money for treatment. Did you have any other questions or concerns? I am here to help

When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan