Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

He's just had a few minutes where his head was on one side…

Customer Question
He's just had a...

He's just had a few minutes where his head was on one side and his eyes were rolling and he couldn't balance and moved round in circles. I held him for a few minutes with his front legs and head almost upright with his back legs supported on my other arm and he seemed to fully recover.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Mini lop rabbit

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the rabbit?

You
He's just had a few minutes where his head was on one side and his eyes were rolling and he couldn't balance and moved round in circles. I held him for a few minutes with his front legs and head almost upright with his back legs supported on my other arm and he seemed to fully recover

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the rabbit seem to hurt?

He's fine now but it frightened me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the rabbit eating normally?

He ate a bit of broccoli

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. The Expert will know if the rabbit will be able to digest that. What is the rabbit's name and age?

Dexter age 4 years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/30/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dexter. You've described the head tilt and nystagmus (eyes rolling) of vestibular (balance) disorders. Encephalitizoon cuniculi infection is most often associated with rabbits experiencing head tilt and rolling eyes. Eyes flicking back and forth and seizures may also be seen. E. cuniculi is a microsporidum parasite which appears to be endemic in the majority of rabbit colonies. The cerebrum is most frequently affected; the vestibular areas of the brain including the cerebellum are less commonly affected although vestibular symptoms predominate.
Fenbendazole (as found in over the counter Panacur) has been used successfully at a dose of 10 mg/lb orally daily for 30 days.
Otitis interna/media (internal/middle ear infection) by a number of bacteria can cause the same symptoms and so it's not unreasonable to also treat these rabbits with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as the prescription enrofloxacin at 2.3 mg/lb subcutaneously twice daily for 14 days. This is a prescription drug that would need to be prescribed by an attending vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.