Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My koi has what looks like a terrible scale,, almost as

Customer Question
My koi has what...

My koi has what looks like a terrible scale,, almost as though it shedding its skin. For several days it seemed to hover in the water with other Koi swimming around it sometimes bumping it but not trying to eat it. But last night it started showing up with something wrong with its scales - almost as though they were doubling in size or being shed. Do you have any idea what it might be or if there's any way to treat it or should we isolate her from the other Koi in the pond

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Koi's name?

Silver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Silver?

It looks as though her belly scales are swollen and inflamed. The other koi are pushing her out of their hidey hole . Would the addition of chloramine T be added to the water

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
11/30/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have been a fish keeper for over 45 years.

Can you tell me if the scales look Pine coned away from the body?

Is the fish bloated in the abdomen?

Have you checked the water parameters in the Pond?

What is the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?

Joan

The scales are pineconed away from her body she does appear to be bloated. I haven't checked the PH, the ammonia level of the Koi pond.It Is quite large and has a big waterfall but I'm not sure where to get the equipment to test the ammonia nitrates etc. with my feed store have the equipment to do that

Thank you! Your Fish has Dropsy. In most cases this is Fatal to the Fish. It is usually caused by a Bacterial infection that has affected the Kidney and Liver. The Fish would have to be separated from the the others in the pond to attempt to treat it. You would need a tank large enough to treat the fish. You could use a large Rubbermade bin, she up a box filter in the rubbermade. You would have to add one teaspoon full of Aquarium salt per gallon of water and an Antibiotic called Furan2. The Medication and test kit can be found at the larger Pet Stores.

The test kit you want to use is an API Master test kit. You need to make sure the water parameters are correct. The Ammonia needs to be 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm and PH 7.0. You will need to use some Pond Salt in the pond per the instructions on container. Treatting the pond with the pond salt will offer stress relief and help with Bactria, Parasitic issues.

This is the Best chance to Save your Koi other than seeing an Aquatic Vet.

I have to be honest, that most fish will not survive and your Koi is in bad shape.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I will be on and off today and through the evening to assist you.

Joan

How is your Koi doing? Did you decide to separate it and treat inside?

Joan