Our hedgehog has a white eye and her belly is cold. Our house is degrees and we have a heat lamp on their cage. She has

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our hedgehog has a white eye and her belly is cold. Our house is 69 degrees and we have a heat lamp on their cage
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the hedgehog?
Customer: She has an eye that is white and a cold belly. She has not been as active lately
JA: What is the hedgehog's name?
Customer: Rey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rey?
Customer: She is just under a year old and other than this has been great and healthy
Answered by Jav917 in 17 hours 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Customer
She is in a good sized wire enclosure with hard bottom surface and with her sister. Has a bed blanket tree house and wheel. We take them out about once a week but talk and pet them almost daily.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to try and assist you.

To get your Hedgehog warmed up, try a heating pad on low under the blanket. The overhead light is fine, but you need an ambient temp of 76* to be optimal. Hibernation may have been what was happening, but that is a dangerous time for Hedgehogs in captivity. We need to keep her awake.

As far as the white eye, this could be from an abrasion from her siter or it also can indicate a Bacterial infection.

With all you have said about recent behavior, her being cold and the white eye I have to suggest a Vet visit with an Exotic Vet familiar with Hedgegogs.

These animals are what is considered a prey animal and they have learned to hide illness well. When this happens they can slowly decline until they can no longer hide being sick. It is important to catch things early

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I am here to help. This link should help you locate some Vets who can treat your Hedgehog:

https://www.petcha.com/directory-of-veterinarians-for-exotic-small-mammals/

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.