Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My male cat of 10 years old has been getting a swollen chin.

Customer Question
My male cat of...

My male cat of 10 years old has been getting a swollen chin. Its evenly swollen not just one side. Not huge either but definitely noticeable. It only lasts for one day amd then hes back to normal. Its happened 3 times since August. Comes on suddenly with no warning. He has pain when i try to touch it or when he tries eating when its swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Wally

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/28/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about these random seeming episodes of Wally having this going on with his chin. Is he indoors only? If you look at his chin, are there black spots (like black heads on the ventral chin area)?

He is only indoor. No black spots or discolor at all. He has had acne once years ago and it doesn't seem like that

Not that I want him to have ever had acne, but feline acne is one of the things on the rule out list. Sometimes they can get a specific area more inflamed and irritated. If it isn't looking like past episodes, then it would seem less likely. How do his teeth and gums look?

Its difficult to tell since i dont know what to lool for. It seems to be normal though

It can be difficult to just look in their mouths / at the teeth / at the gums as they are not so sure about what you're doing. Is he an only cat in the house?

I have one other cat named fuzzle. Same age. Theyve been together for 7 years. The other cat hasnt had any of the symptoms as wally. Im wondering what the cause would be for it to only last for 1 day??

You have asked a very, very good question. What would cause it to last for only a day? I was going to throw out the possibility of trauma from him getting hit / bit in that area. Some cats will just play rough and bite each other every now and then. Could he be finding a spider that is biting / stinging him in that area? Feline acne can sometimes throw weird scenarios out there. If it was persistent, then a dental issue / primary bone / or growth issue would be at hand. I'm hedging towards the trauma scenario and to be honest, there is no way to prove it. You can only prove it isn't the other things.

If it were an abscess or dental problem or cancer, would any of that cause swelling for only one day?
Its seems to be on average about once a month for the last 3 months

If it was due to an abscess, dental issue or cancer - it wouldn't cause swelling for a day. Could he be hitting the area / bumping it on something to cause it? Could he be rough housing with the other cat and that caused it? These would be suspicious.