Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a raccoon that i've had sense he was about a week…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a raccoon that i've had sense he was about a week old. he is a little over three months now & in the last week or so he has gotten really sick with what i think is canine distemper. although he hasn't been outside or around any other animals other than out house cat that is always inside our home 100% of the time. it stared out with diarrhea, runny nose & a slight eye discharge with a fever & in a day or two his back legs seem to give out on him. i made him drink with a dropper & he started getting his strength back and his back legs stared working again. now i think he has pneumonia because is has a hard time breathing. it's been about 10 days now sense all of this stared. i can't take him to a vet because he is illegal to own. he has turned into another member of the family & it is killing my wife and i just watching him die. what can i give him that will help with the lung problem? we have a co op & a TSC store that i can get some meds from, but even that will be limited. i've been giving him penicillin but i have no idea how much i can give him. between that & pedialyte. please help me if at all possible. i found him at work when he was about a week old. i couldn't let him starve & die. that's how i came to have him. now he really has became part of the family.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the pneumonia. What is the raccoon's name?

Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

I think i covered everything. he did start throwing up a day or so ago, but he stopped that & started taking a little bit of fluids again last night.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/28/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what penicillin you have on hand? A picture of the label will work well. In what state do you reside?