Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My aquatic turtle has just started making a squeaking noise.

Customer Question
My aquatic turtle has...

My aquatic turtle has just started making a squeaking noise

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the turtle?

He is making a squeaking noise

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the turtle seem to hurt?

He isn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the turtle eating normally?

Not as much as normally

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the turtle having trouble peeing or pooing?

No that seems ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the turtle behaving differently?

He isn't basking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name and age?

Sheldon,age unknown

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sheldon?

Unknown

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/27/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry to hear that Sheldon is ill. Some additional information will be useful.When he swims, does he list to one side?Have you noticed any frequent yawning or bubbles coming from his nose or mouth?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and in the water?Thank you.
Swimming fine,no bubbles or yawning,but does keep putting his head out of the water,water temp 27
Hello???
I’m sorry. I just now received notice that you replied. When a turtle squeaks, it usually means there is a respiratory infection. That requires a vet visit fir a certain diagnosis and proper treatment with a safe prescription antibiotic, such as Baytril.
Your water temperature is perfect, but you didn’t mention the basking area temp. It should be 29* to 32*. Increasing the temperature to the upper end of that range can give the immune system a boost.Do you have a reptile vet?
I'll get him an appointment
Basking area is 31,however he hasn't been basking for a few days
Not basking can also be a sign that a turtle doesn’t feel good. Respiratory infections can progres to pneumonia. That’s when we’ll see listing to one side when swimming, or simply floating on the water. The lungs fill with fluid, making swimming difficult.The vet will be able examine Sheldon closely and listen to his lungs to reach a definite diagnosis.
Whatever that turns out to be, the combination of the noise, failure to bask, and decreased appetite are serious enough for a vet visit. I’m glad you have a vet you can see.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I wish Sheldon a speedy recovery.