Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Goldfish laying on bottom of the tank and tries to swim but…

Customer Question
Goldfish laying on bottom...

Goldfish laying on bottom of the tank and tries to swim but it’s sideways

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the goldfish. What is the goldfish's name and age?

Two

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the goldfish's name?

Princess.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?

No. Fish is in tank with three other fish who are fine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
Fish is on bottom of tank and laying on its side. It tries to swim but can’t swim straight up
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35 years and have kept fish over 40 years.

Can you tell me if the abdomen is swollen?

Have you checked the water parameters?

What is the ammonia, Nitites, Nitrates and PH?

Type of test kit used?

Size of tank?

Joan

This is our first fish we got from carnival. Lived two years with three other fish. We change tank regularly but never had issues. Three other fish r fine We don’t use any test strips We have a 15 gallon tank. We tried peas but and removing it from other fish but he won’t eat

Do you have filtration?

When you do a water change is it a total change or partial change?

Joan

we do. Partial change
He seems to be breathing heavy and won’t eat

I suspect that you are seeing Swim Bladder Disease which affects a fish's swim bladder. This is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly.

This can be a result of water quality, over feeding dry foods or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less. You should have an API test kit to check the levels.

We can try some first aid to help the fish.

1) First do a 35% water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement.

2) Next please feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem.

3) I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease.If the fish is in with other fish it may be wise to set up a hospital tank which will make it easier to treat the fish.

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which include reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort.

This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help: http://www.koivet.com/a_fishvets.html

My goal is 100% satisfaction. Please hit reply if you have further questions, so I can meet that goal and give you the best possible answer.

Joan

Should I put the fish back with the other fish. Right now he is just in a bucket with no filtration. He won’t eat the peas and seems thin.

You can either do a Hospital tank or treat him in the tank with the other fish. The Goldfish actually need a 20 gallon tank of its own. I suspect the water parameters are high causing the swim bladder. Goldfish because of the body shape, have alot ll of problems with swim bladder.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician