Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 4month old male rat started limping yesterday on one foot…

Customer Question
My 4month old male...

My 4month old male rat started limping yesterday on one foot and it curled under after I played rough with her (trying to get rid of her biting - bad idea in hindsight) today it seems like her whole backside is affected and she is super slow, kind of lethargic but still eats out of my hand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the rat. What is the rat's name and age?

Quincy and he is 4month old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Quincy?

4 month

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/25/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry to read about Quincy's leg.

In a sutuation like this Quincy may have injured a muscle or ligament, since the Backside seems affected. I have to suggest a Vet visit for Quincy. They can give an Anti inflammatory and pain medication.

You will need to watch Quincy for biting at the foot and the area. When in pain they will actually to try and chew off the affected limb.

This is a link for Rat Vets: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/ In each blank type the word member and it will bring up a list of Vets by State.

In the mean time you can try alternating cold and heat to help reduce inflamation and may ease some of the pain. Listen for tooth grinding as that is an indication of pain too.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan