Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My Hampster was fine last night now he is cold and I thought…

Customer Question
My Hampster was fine...

My Hampster was fine last night now he is cold and I thought he was doing into cold shock but I warmed him up and now he is wheezing opening his mouth every time he breathes I’m taking him to a vet in an hour I was wondering if there was anything I could do until then to help him survive

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Hampster

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the hamster?

He is wheezing and cold and limp

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hamster's name and age?

Chunk and he is 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chunk?

His teeth are overgrown

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pet
11/21/2017
Pet Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. You can put a drop of syrup on his gums. They can get a low blood sugar. Try that and let me know how he reacts in the next 15 minutes. Also, take a q tip and gently sweep out his mouth to make sure there is nothing blocking his airway. Don't push the q tip down into his throat because you may be pushing a foreign object down deeper.

Okay I have looked in his mouth I think it is just his teeth overgrown that are blocking his airway and I am getting syrup now

Great. Keep me posted.

It looks like he has some blood on the corner of his mouth is it possible that his teeth are causing this
I’m scared to move him but i have to get him out of the house and into the vet

Yes, if his teeth are overgrown, he is likely not able to eat properly. He could also have an infection in his mouth. Did you apply a little bit of syrup?

No I’m scared I’ll apply too much and it’ll stick to his mouth :( I’m leaving to go to the vet in 10 I have him in his cage and he’s just breathing with his mouth open the wheezing stopped whenever it starts again I move him to keep his airways open
I only have like pancake syrup is that alright to put in his mouth

That should be fine

Pet Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Kelly Hill
He ended up passing away:( after he passed I realized that he had a tumour and It must’ve killed him, I think he must have had a stroke over night because he couldn’t even move in the morning he was so limp and when he started gasping for air I knew he didn’t have much time left. I tried to get him to the hospital in time but it all happened to fast. Thanks for the help though, there was nothing I could do to save him

Your welcome. I am sorry that he passed away. I can tell you truly loved him.