Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

What are the pros and cons of owning a pet monkey?

Customer Question
Also we'd be looking to...
What are the pros and cons of owning a pet monkey? Also we'd be looking to rescue one, but are there any breeds in particular that are perhaps easier to train, or people friendlier!?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 day by:
11/22/2017
Pet Specialist: Scott Perry, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer!

One of the benefits of owning a monkey is that they have a much longer lifespan than other mammals. A typical longevity will be 20-40 years depending on the type of breed. They are incredibly social animals, intelligent, and able to learn tasks and tricks quickly. Those are the pros.

There can be a rather sizable expense with owning a monkey. You will need to create a secure enclosure and have the proper permits. Your home insurance may require an addendum for this kind of pet, which can increase your policy limits. Nutrition is one of the most important details with owning a monkey and most problems associated with health in monkeys are attributed to malnutrition. A monkey also needs a large amount of social interaction and attention. A monkey that does not get enough social interaction can develop destructive behaviors such as biting or screaming that are challenging to resolve. There are a few health concerns for yourself you should be aware about with owning a monkey. Monkeys can carry a hepatitis virus that is deadly to people, so it will be vitally important to make sure the monkey you get does not have it. They are also vulnerable to many human diseases such as herpes virus. Those are the cons.

I hope that helps.