Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My fancy mouse has a red scratch mark under its eye. It

Customer Question
My fancy mouse has...

My fancy mouse has a red scratch mark under its eye. It looks painful. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the mouse's name and age?

Blossom and not sure. I got her at petsmart

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the mouse?

Um she lives with two other mice and bedding is paper, If that matters

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
Her eating patterns haven’t changed and she’s still active
11/20/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

I am sorry for the wait. Your questions was just referred to me for assistance. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

You can take a little Betadine and dilute it with water and use a q-tip to wipe the area where the scratch. Once thaon the scratch.t is done you can use some Plain Neosporin without Pain Killer on the scratch. You can clean and apply the medication 3 times a day and this will aid with healing.

Please hit reply to discuss this information or your concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a postive rating.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

How is your Mouse doing? Was the information on treatment helpful?

Joan

My mouse’s eye is now swollen almost shut. I also have another one of my mice with a very red bald spot behind her ear. She is repeatedly scratching it.

The mouse that had the scratch and the swollen eye may have an eye infection. You can use plain Saline eye Drops without Prservatives. The eye itself may have been scratched when ir recieved the scratch under the eye causing a corneal abrasion or ulceration. In this case the mouse would need an antibiotic eye ointment or drop.

As far as your other mouse Mites, lice & other causes of itching. They are skin parasites and also need to be addressed with the proper medication from the Vet.

Joan