Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I purchased my male baby betta fish on October 13. I had him…

Customer Question
Hello. I purchased my...

Hello. I purchased my male baby betta fish on October 13. I had him in a 1 gallon tank until last Saturday when I moved him to a 3 1/2 gallon tank. He has never been a big eater...a few mouth fulls then spits out. I changed his water on Friday and Friday night until today he is staying at bottom of tank. When I try to fish him out to put him in a smaller tank-that was recommended by Petco-he swims so fast I cant catch him.. It is weird that he is on bottom of tank and not so active.. Any advise???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the baby?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the baby seem to hurt?

He is just sitting on bottom of the tank on his rocks, not swimming around much. Baby Betta male.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

His face male look a little pale, but otherwise color is good. I have had problems since Oct 13th with feeding him, he cant eat pellets, too big for his mouth, spits out flakes, only eats maybe one flake tops. I am concerned because he is just laying on bottom of tank, when I go in to try to touch him he swims around fast, cant catch him.. I was going to try to put him in smaller tank so he could get to top for air???

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the baby. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?

Prior to the water change on Friday he was swimming all around always slept on top of tank now is on bottom of tank.. I had water checked yesterday and water is good? I don't know what to do

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pet
11/19/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 5 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is***** a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm reviewing all the information in your question now, and then I'll be back.
Will you tell me a little more about his set up and food?Does the 3 1/2 gallon tank have a filter in it?What kind of water do you use in the tank - spring, filtered, tap, etc.?If you use tap water, what conditioners do you use?What brand of pellets have you tried feeding?Thank you.
3 1/2 gallon tank -filter with heater. spring water-room temperature-
wardley pellets omega one betta buffet flakes top fin bloodworm treats
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. I'm glad you use spring water - it's best for bettas.

Bettas do best in still water. In nature, they live in shallow water with no movement at all. That's why they are often kept in small tanks or bowls with no filter. The filter keeps the water circulating and creates a current. That makes it difficult for a betta to swim, so they will find a quieter corner with less movement, and spend a lot of time there. You may want to consider making the smaller tank his home, and substitute weekly water changes for a filter. You could also make the larger tank more betta-friendly. Turn off the filter. Remove about half the water by dipping it out with a cup. The shallow water with no current may be all it takes for your betta to be more active. As he gets older and bigger, you may be able to increase the water depth and add some gentle filtration. Until then, weekly water changes will be needed, regardless of which tank you keep him in. If changes to the bigger tank don't help, removing much of the water will make it easier to catch him for moving to the small tank.

There is a lot of misinformation online and from pet stores. Here is a reputable website where you can read more about housing bettas. All the options are listed with the good and bad points of each.

http://www.bettatalk.com/housing.htm

As for eating, the Wardley foods are not very good. A lot of fish simply won't eat them, but the Wardley betta food is certainly too big for a young betta. I recommend New Life Spectrum Betta Food. The pellets are smaller, so your betta may be able to eat them, but if not, just place a pellet on a piece of wax paper and use the back of a spoon to break them up. Then you'll have tiny pellets. Bettas have tiny stomachs and one of the biggest problems with them is overfeeding. That leads to kidney failure. My adult bettas eat three pellets in the morning and one bloodworm in the afternoon, to give you an idea on how much to feed. Here is a source for the food I suggested:

https://www.chewy.com/new-life-spectrum-betta-semi-float/dp/158763?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=New%20Life%20Spectrum&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ma7mo7L1wIVgchkCh0DgQnyEAQYASABEgLXpfD_BwE

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope your betta will thrive.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist