Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My daughters rabbit is around 10 years old. He is acting…

My daughters rabbit is...

My daughters rabbit is around 10 years old. He is acting strange

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the rabbit?

He don't want to move much. Wants to lay his head on the ground to one side

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the rabbit. What is the rabbit's name?

I have rubbed his ears but he doesn't seem hot or in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rabbit?

Fluffy.

11/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

Did the video go through?

It did not.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

I don't know what to do.

Did you see my response above on how to post the video? I'll also put through an offer for texting, if that might be easier.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

My cell number should be available for texting. I'll be standing by. It will work fastest if we continue to chat here as I can type faster.

It looks like Fluffy has what is known as torticollis, which is common in rabbits. There are a wide variety of causes for this symptom (head being tilted and close to the ground) from ear infections to encephalitis to stroke. I do think it would be wise to have Fluffy examined this weekend by a vet that is open or ER vet. If this is something minor, such as an ear infection, your vet can clean the ears and start Fluffy on oral and aural medications. Within a few days, the symptoms should be resolving and he should begin eating on his own. Your vet will likely have you syringe feed baby food or critical care until that happens. If this might be something more advanced like a stroke, you would not be wrong to consider euthanasia as you'd mentioned in our text, as a senior rabbit will have more difficulty than a younger rabbit on overcoming the symptoms.

Do you need help finding a vet in your area?

please

Can you tell me in what city and state you reside?

Ellabell GA

Give me just a few moments here to do some research for you. I'll be right back.

1) Regular and ER services: http://www.poolervet.com/emergency-critical-care
2) Mobile services (not 100% sure they see rabbits): http://vettopets.org

3) ER vet: http://www.savannahemergencyvet.com
4) Exotics vet in Savannah: https://www.avianexotichospital.com They also see emergencies after hours.