Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

She may have taken a 40 mg fluoxetine. II gave it to my 70…

She may have taken...

She may have taken a 40 mg fluoxetine. II gave it to my 70 lb lab but when I turned arok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Aroumd she was eating something so I’m not sure. She’s. 10 lb Chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lola?

9 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

No, she’s healthy and just over 10 lbs

11/18/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to do some calculations. Is Lola acting normally? How long ago did she ingest the fluoxetine?

far, yes. About 15 minutes ago
I give my lab the pill with a treat so I don’t know if he dropped everything or not so I’m not sure if she took it

Okay. She did not get a toxic dose, but it I would recommend that you induce vomiting. She got 8.8 mg/kg and the median dose that has been shown to be toxic is 15.9 mg/kg. Signs of toxicity include lethargy, vomiting, high heart rate and neurologic behavior. Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

I would give her 1 teaspoon mixed in with some canned food. Or you can give 1 teaspoon by itself. Usually dogs will eat it in a little bit of food. Then run her around or gently shake up her belly. If she does not vomit within 15 minutes, you can repeat the dose.

Ok. I’ll give it a try

Your other option is to take her to your local emergency clinic so that they can induce vomiting with apomorphine. Let me know when she vomits.

Ok
She just threw up
Is there anything else I need to do?

Sorry I did not see this earlier. Vomting shortly after ingestion is great. It is very unlikely that she would exhibit clinical signs since you were able to get her to vomit. If you note any lethargy, agitation or abnormal behavior then she should be seen by a local veterinarian. I hope she is doing well.

She is doing well. No signs at all.

That is wonderful news. Good job getting her to vomit.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill