Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I think my tortoise is dead. He has been very lethargic last…

Customer Question
I think my tortoise...

I think my tortoise is dead

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your tortoise?

He has been very lethargic last few days, light red rash on the back of his shell, by his tail - think that may be sepsis, totally unresponsive now and very dehydrated 0 sunken eyes - I am giving him a bath now to see if I can rehydrate him, but sure he may be dead, and very upset

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your tortoise?

No, he's been great - lives in the house - happy chappie usually - thought he was dead this morning - had to go to work - but now worried he could be in a coma and perhaps I should be doing something

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
11/17/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are his legs fully extended?

Does he respond if you touch near his eyes?

What happens if he's placed on his side or back?

He is just completely floppy
I will find a specialist reptile vet in the morning :(

If he's completely floppy, I anticipate he's likely passed. It may be easier to find a location (such as a veterinary ER) that can confirm his passing for you. This is typically done free of charge. Do you need help finding such a location?

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? Were you able to locate a reptile specialist?