Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My guinea pig is very lethargic and has a watery eye. About…

My guinea pig is...

My guinea pig is very lethargic and has a watery eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Very Lethargic. How old is Very Lethargic?

About 4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Very Lethargic?

Yes she had 2 abcesses in june which drained and the vet put her on antibiotics which caused her to have diarrhea for months after. She was just getting back to normal and now this

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is she eating and drinking well?

Any sneezing or coughing?

Can you share pictures of the watery eye?

Any crusting of the eyes?

Can you tell me more about her diet and any vitamin supplementation you use?

She is drinking and I have vitamin C in her water but the only thing she really likes to eat right now is vegetables mostly lettuce or parsley. She does sneeze occasionally

Is she eating and drinking well despite being more finicky about her food?

When did her desire to eat only certain things begin?

Any crusting of the eyes?

How often are you putting vitamin C in her water?

I just restarted the vitamin C today.I put fresh in every day when I'm giving it to her The pickiness started last night but it is worse today.

Can you please respond to each question asked above.

The picking of started last night she is eating but not as well as she was before she was lethargic and I think she's having a little trouble passing her but her poops
I keep your vitamin C daily but I just restarted that today
There is a little crustiness on one eye
I will try to send a picture
Right now she mostly just wants vegetables

Thank you for the additional information and picture.

It sounds and looks like she may be suffering from an upper respiratory infection and she needs to be receiving vitamin C daily. The URI may be compounded by her not receiving regular vitamin C which can be life-threatening. Unfortunately, though drops for water are sold, they aren't very good at their job. Vitamin C degrades in sunlight so the moment the drops are added to fresh water they begin degrading. By the time a GP has a chance to drink the water given, almost no vitamin C is available to them. For this reason, it is recommended to give 25-50mg of vitamin C daily to guinea pigs in the form of treats. These can be purchased from companies who make them specific for GPs or even chewable vitamin C for humans.

I would highly recommend an examination and course of antibiotics for her given the URI symptoms. You may also need to purchase Critical Care through Amazon or your vet's office and begin syringe feeding her to keep her nutrition up since she's become more picky about her foods. You can also syringe pureed baby food such as those in flavors like apple, squash, etc.

If you need help finding a vet that can examine and treat her, please let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I do have critical care which i could give her but i have never used it. The directions are for weight by kg. Not sure how to mix it for a little pig

You'll mix enough water into it to form a suspension that you can syringe feed. I would feed as much as she will take. Many GPs love critical care and will consume it readily. I would also begin giving vitamin C supplementation orally, such as the chews I mentioned.

Okay so the amount of water to food is not terribly critical? Just so it moves through the syringe?

Correct. Make sure she has fresh water available so she can drink, as well.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you very much. I do hesitate to do the antibiotics again as they messed her up so much in June.So I am going to stick with the vitamin c and will start the critical care. She just now went to her bowl and ate a little more than just the lettuce.

You're welcome. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse