Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have a 6 month old lop eared bunny and he had a chew toy

Customer Question
in his cage and I...
I have a 6 month old lop eared bunny and he had a chew toy in his cage and I see blood on the chew toy and on the bedding
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bunny?
Customer: No it was just like it reminded me of a puma Stone and he was chewing on it last night and kind of boxing it and I thought he was just playing around but now it's blood on it
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Pet
11/17/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 30 days ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name us Anna, and I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. The first thing we have to do is figure out exactly where the blood came from. Start by looking inside his mouth for damaged teeth or cuts. If you don't see anything there, check his paws for toenails that are torn. Finally, check his back end for any bleeding coming from his anus. Once you find the source of the blood,meet me know, and we'll decide what to do about it. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will try my best
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
How do I get him to hold still so I can open his mouth

You'll probably need a helper. Gently wrap the rabbit in a towel to help hold him still. If you still can't keep him still, go ahead and check the toenails and back end first. Also look at his lips and chin for any blood.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No there's no blood on his fingernails or his bottom or his lips it was something inside of his mouth I think I tried to look you just keep squirming

OK. There's an excellent chance this was just a minor injury from chewing on something too hard. In that case, you won't need to do anything but watch him. Since you can't look in his mouth, you can watch for signs of a tooth injury. signs would include appetite loss, losing bits of food out of his mouth when he eats, wetness under his chin from saliva drooling out, swelling anywhere on the jaw, and seeing any bleeding. If those occur, or if you're able to look in his mouth at some point and find a damaged tooth, he'll need to be seen by a vet. If none of those things happen, it is probably a minor injury that will heal on its own. Since we now know he has a sensitive mouth, it would be best not to give him hard chew toys. Plain cardboard, such as an empty toilet paper roll, make good toys for rabbits who like to box and throw things around.

If you end up needing a vet, this link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope your bunny will be just fine.

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist