Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I got a betta fish 6 days ago. The water parameters are fine…

Customer Question
I got a betta...

I got a betta fish 6 days ago. The water parameters are fine (Were last night). He's been flashing and rubbing on stuff in teh aquarium. I don't see any MAJOR signs of parasites but I thought maybe he has a goldish sheen to him under light. What in god's name do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the fish can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the fish's name?

Also he's got two ghost shrimp tank mates Finnegan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the fish?

He was maybe breathing weird? I'm not sure how fish breathe but it looked...different?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pet
11/17/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. Finnegan's symptoms do indicate that he has the parasite called velvet. You need a microscope to see the actual parasite, but they embed themselves in the flesh and the gills. Symptoms include that goldfish sheen, breathing difficulties, and flashing - all things that you have noticed. Velvet is both common and dangerous. It has to be treated aggressively because it causes a lot of fish deaths. Before treating, you'll have to put the ghost shrimp in a separate container because the treatments will be toxic to them.If the temperature in the tank is not already there, increase it to 82*F. That speeds up the parasites life cycle and makes it easier to destroy them. If possible, place the tank in the dark. The velvet parasite uses light to make some of its own food, so darkness will weaken it. Then you have to decide on a treatment. Malachite green and special formulations of copper are most effective. Both have to be dosed carefully because overdoses are also fatal to fish. But we don't have much choice because the Velvet will be fatal if not treated. Here is a site where you can read about the pluses and minuses of each of the available treatments:http://bettasource.com/more-betta/disease-id-treatment/velvet/You should be able to find the remedies in larger pet stores, or if you live in a bigger city, a fish store. If you can't, they can be ordered online but that will prolong the time before you can start treatment. If you have no choice but to order online, let me know,and I'll find reputable sources for you.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Finnegan will be able to recover.Anna