Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We have a 4 year old wiener dog. My gf came home today and…

We have a 4 year...
We have a 4 year old wiener dog. My gf came home today and found our dog laying in her own vomit, it was all over the side of her face. Took her to the Vet and had x rays taken with no signs of any obstruction in her body. When I got home I was petting her and every time I seemed to touch her stomach area she would grunt a little. Later on in the night she started grunting almost continuously. Took her to the ER and they did blood work and found nothing. She is now grunting every second like she is in pain. Both VETS don't know. what is going on.
11/14/2017
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear that. If you press on her spine right behind her last rib (press firmly with your index finger on one side of her spine and your thumb on the other side of her spine) how does she react?

She stood up and grunted but she is grunting every second now so hard to tell if it was a true response to that. If I push on her stomach lightly she does the same thing. I also forgot to put that she had blood in her stool. She was drinking water but would try to throw it up afterwords but has been able to hold some of it down. She has not had anything to drink for 6+ hours now.

I understand. Often times (particularly in this breed) stomach pain can be referred pain from the spine. But if she is dry-heaving and has bloody stool, it sounds more like a gastrointestinal problem. Pancreatitis would be my first thought. Do you know if they ran a canine pancreatic lipase level?

Would you like to see x rays as well?
please

yes I can see the blood work now that I am on my laptop. I'll look at the x-rays in a few minutes

Ok cool.

So based on that blood work, Trixi is dehydrated but not to a dangerous level.

The blood work did not test for pancreatitis.

X-rays show her stomach is empty with no evidence of obstruction. T12-T13, and T13-L1 vertebrae look like they could be causing some discomfort to me. She appears to be overweight which could contribute both to pancreatitis and intervertebral disc disease.

Pain medication would be helpful for pancreatitis and/or intervertebral disc disease both. If it were me I would run a pancreatic lipase level and prescribe pain medication (Tramadol perhaps) and see how she improves with that. If her dehydration worsens, I would put her on IV fluids. The treatment for either pancreatitis or IVDD is pain meds and time. I can't diagnose her without physically seeing her, but based on the tests you have shown me, these are my thoughts. I hope this helps.

Ok thank you sir.

My pleasure. I hope she is feeling well soon!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson