Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My dog has a grout. Large growth near her right eye. I hope

my dog has a grout JA...
my dog has a grout
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Large growth near her right eye. I hope it is not cancer.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Peanuts she is eleven
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanuts
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peanuts?
Customer: No. I am a five times cancer survivor my self. She let me know when I was sick. I need her to be well. But I cannot afford to take her to a vet.
11/13/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Peanuts sounds like a special girl. Is she rubbing at her eye? Is it something that has been there for awhile or did it pop up recently?

Is it something you can upload a picture of?

Extreme close up! She is a very cute girl-

So it looks like she is holding her eyes open pretty evenly, if something is putting pressure on their eye or causing irritation they usually will have the eyelids somewhat closed or be squinting.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
what do you think? I don't have much money so if you could please answer the question. Please. Patricia

Growths can be a bit tricky in dogs, they are very common as they get older, and many of the types that they get are not cancerous. But just going by how it looks at a glance or how it feels, doesn't really tell us the likelihood of being cancerous.

Do you think it has gotten larger in a short amount of time? That can be more concerning.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
It is hard like I said. Not long. About 8 days. It does not hurt to the touch.

The very best way to know if a growth is cancerous, is to look at some of the cells within in under the microscope. A biopsy is the most thorough way to do this, but we can often do an easier 'cheat' to get a tiny sample by putting a little needle into it to get a few cells out to look at under the microscope. Based on how the cells look, we can better gauge if it has cancerous characteristics or not.

I don't think this is an emergency that you have to run her to the vet tonight, and if she is not rubbing at it, I think it would be ok to watch it for a bit. But if she is seeming like it is sore, rubbing at it, or affecting her ability to open her eye, the safest thing would be to get it looked at in person.

The needle check is quick and simple and generally inexpensive to do in the vet's office if it is not going away.

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Ok. No she is not rubbing it. It is not sore either. I think I will take her in to get it checked out. Like you said. Thanks.... Very much. Have a nice day.

You're welcome - you as well-

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian