Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a nine we all puppy and he’s had both rounds of his…

I have a nine...

I have a nine we all puppy and he’s had both rounds of his shots he will have his last and final round and we can Thanksgiving. Overall he seems normal but his belly seems extra hot tonight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

And I don’t have a rectal thermometer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Sammy

There are a lot of typos but hopefully you can understand what I’m asking
11/13/2017
Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is he eating and drinking normally?

What breed is he?

Does he have diarrhea or any vomiting?

Any discharge from the eyes or nose?

If so, what color is it?

Hi Jane
Yes he is eating and drinking properly he hasn’t had any vomiting or diarrhea although he is a little gassy. No discharge from his eyes or nose and he is a mixed group breed that we adopted they think he is black mouth Kerr and bulldog
Cur not Kerr

Thanks for that information. It is helpful.

His stomach probably feels a little hot just due to him being gassy and probably not as active as normal. A dog frequently feels hot to humans because our temperature is 98.5F while a dog's normal temperature of 100-102.5F. He is likely just fine. You might give him a little pepto-bismol to help with gas at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds every 6 hours. That may relieve some of the gas.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Thank you. Any idea why he might be gassy?

Many things can cause gas. It is believed that dog foods containing soy products and other food allergies contribute to gas problems as well. Sometimes a change in diet will help the problem. If this is a one time issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Smaller meals spread out can help and taking your dog for walks after meals cuts down on gas. Adding good bacteria to your dog's stomach can aid in the digestion as well. I use a spoonful of plain unflavored yogurt on my dog's food to keep good bacteria in their stomach, but there are products, such as Prozyme and fortiflora, that can be purchased at your pet store to aid digestion and cut down on gas.

Here is a site that discusses the problem:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=253

If it has been more than 2 weeks since he was dewormed, I'd deworm him as well. Parasites can lead to gas problems as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?