Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My dog becomes very at feeding time he often grabs the bowl…

My dog becomes very...

My dog becomes very nasty at feeding time he often grabs the bowl soon as I put it on the floor and Spills it and sometimes he just gets very grouchy and it's hard to tell when that's going to happen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Over the span of two and a half months I was the fifth person to get him from the pet store he had problems with toys over that pretty much but the food problem is still a significant problem and recently he hasn't bitten me but the first year I had on my got bitten couple times

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

What. He is a tough dog about 93 lb border collie Australian Shepherd hybrid he plays with my spaniel who's also 93 lbs he's very healthy he's very energetic and every morning I hug him and pet him cuz that's what he wants before he goes outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cooper, that's the name they gave him at the pet store

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He's about 3 years old he came from a breeder in Ohio and he had papers he's very friendly but he likes to bark a lot until he gets close to people then he stopped barking then he wants petted and when people stop petting him then he jumps up so I can't let that happen because 93 pound dog when they jump off their claws scratch people he gets along with other dogs if the neighbors Pitbull when she got in a fight news about 8 months old

11/13/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck.

It sounds like he is having food aggression / possessive aggression issues, and it sounds like this has been a long term issue for him. This is not an easy thing to fix and it will take a lot of time and work with a trainer ideally. I suggest you contact your local veterinary clinic during their next regular business hours, and simply ask them over the phone for a referral / contact information for a local trainer that they recommend. Mention the aggression concerns as they may suggest a particular trainer that is good with these concerns. Some trainers will do a first consultation for free before charging for subsequent sessions.

Be very careful with this situation. Do not get bit, dog bites can be very serious. Work with a professional trainer to get him to learn that you are in control and that he doesn't have to fight to keep his food.

Depending on how severe of an issue this is, pharmaceutical help might be indicated. So consider also concurrently consulting with your local veterinarian about getting a prescription to help with his high degree of anxiety. Be warned however, treating aggressive dogs with these kinds of medications is somewhat controversial as in some situations it may lessen their typical inhibition to bite, and thus they could possibly become more dangerous. It is often times helpful however, and so is sometimes done on a cautious trial basis with close work with a trainer.

You might also ask you vet if there are any nearby veterinary behavior specialists in the area, if this proves to be a particular difficult case.

Good luck, and good for you to take his boy and on work hard to give him a caring home.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck