Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My bearded dragon is about 9 months old. He was eating 15-20…

My bearded dragon is about...
My bearded dragon is about 9 months old. He was eating 15-20 dubia a day, but absolutely refuses to eat them for the past 1.5 weeks. He will drink and eat greens, but won’t eat dubia or small superworms. Nothing has changed with dubia—food and water are the same. I’m at a loss as to why he would suddenly stop eating them.
11/13/2017
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your bearded dragon. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
There are two possibilities as to why your beardie is not eating the dubia roaches. The first would be that there is some disease or infection going on which would affect your reptile’s ability or desire to eat. Common problems would include intestinal parasites, a bacterial intestinal infection and low calcium levels amongst other problems. The second possibility is that it is a normal part of the transition from being a juvenile to an adult. In the wild beardies initially eat quite a bit of insects in order to help them get enough protein to grow. As the age they gradually become more herbivorous and choose to eat more plants and vegetables. This is a normal part of their life cycle and is not a problem at all.Therefore, I have a few questions for you regarding your husbandry, diet and recent behavior of your pet. The goal is to find out if your pet bearded dragon is sick and it’s something we need to worry about or whether it’s a normal healthy sign of it growing up.I will see what I can do to help you. I'll need some more information so I can provide you the best answers possible.1. How big is your beardie as in what is the approximate length from tip of nose to tip of tail?2. Is your beardie still active and moving around?3. Is it showing any abnormal signs like coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?4. Please look at your pet from head to toe. Do you see any wounds or other injuries?5. What size tank or enclosure do you have your pet in?6. Do you have a heat lamp and a UV-B lamp?7. What are the hot and cold side temperatures?8. What do you feed your pet? Do you supplement your beardie’s diet with calcium?Please get back to me as soon as possible so I can do my best to help you and your pet. I look forward to your response. All the best.Dr. Adamski
He’a 12 inches, he is still active and moving around, holds tail up, no coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea. Poops almost every day but the amount is smaller and smaller since he is not eating dubia; looks normal, not watery. No obvious injuries. He is in a wood/glass enclosure that is approx 125 gallons. Reptisun 10 UVB light (changed 5 mos ago), 75w basking bulb. Temp on cool side is 85, on hot, 110. He eats collard and turnip greens, and Has continued to eat these fine. He was on only dubia for protein. I gave him a small superworms to see if he’d eat it, but he didn’t. He also wouldn’t touch hornworms. He has occasional mango and strawberries. He gets a bath once a week (at least 10 mins). He is on reptile carpet. I supplement with Reptical with vitamin D3 every day and Reptivite multi-vitamins twice a week. I will usually put crushed bee pollen on top of his salads. When I offer him dubia, he closes his eyes. Dubia are on Lugarti Premium Dubia Diet. I just don’t know why he’d all of a sudden quit eating them. Nothing has changed in regards ***** ***** dubia set up. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for the detailed information. Overall, your husbandry sounds very good. What I can do via telemedicine is limited since I cannot do a physical exam, etc. based on the information you provided I am inclined to think there may not be a health problem and the change in appetite is related to his age, growing maturity and normal behavior as your beardie grows and develops.Therefore, here are my recommendations.1. Your beardie is big and old enough to change his diet to mimic what would happen in the wild. As beardies age their diet gradually switches from eating mostly insects which they need for protein to grow rapidly to a mostly herbivorous diet consisting of greens and veggies. They also go for longer periods without eating. As much as possible we want to copy what would happen in the wild. This will help keep your lizard healthy, prevent bone deformities and other health problems as well as keep him from getting fat. :)First, adult bearded dragons only need to be fed every other day. So please Change his diet so that you only feed him 3-4 times per week. Second, most of their diet should consist of greens and vegetables. I would feed greens and vegetables every meal with calcium powder mixed in. Only feed insects with calcium powder once per week. You can add the multi-vitamin supplement once per week as well. This will not only save you money on food costs, limit waste and ensure you provide a healthy balanced diet for your beardie.2. Modify your temperatures slightly. Lower your cool side to 75F or so. The hot side only needs to be 100F or thereabouts. Keeping your enclosure too hot can dehydrate and stress your pet which can lead to long term health problems.3. It’s great that you soak your bearded dragon on a regular basis. This process is very beneficial and healthy for your pet. It helps prevent constipation, keeps them from getting dehydrated and encourages a healthy shed. Increase the soaking time of the bath to about 30 minutes once per week at least to allow for better absorption of water.4. I have attached a copy of a tortoise diet sheet which can also be used to feed bearded dragons. It provides a list of healthy greens and vegetables which are safe and nutritious for your pet lizard.5. Just to be safe to ensure there are no hidden health problems which caused the change in appetite I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. They can examine your beardie and test its feces to look for signs of health problems such as parasites or a bacterial infection. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your pet all the best.Dr. Adamski
I hope this helps. All the best.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Veterinarian
This is fantastic advice! I will implement the changes immediately. Thank you very much for your help. I truly appreciate it.
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Veterinarian