Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I took my 6mo kitten in to be spayed on Tuesday. During her…

I took my 6mo...

I took my 6mo kitten in to be spayed on Tuesday. During her pre-op exam, the vet gave her a pill and then they took her to surgery. Before they started, but after she was sedated, her breathing slowed then stopped. They immediately got oxygen going for her so she was never without oxygen. Then her heart stopped and they spent 20-30 minutes doing CPR until the finally got her heart beating. Her body temperature had dropped and by the time I got there, she was breathing on her own and heart rate had returned to normal. After about two hours, being warmed by them, her body temp returned to closer it normal. Long story short, she is now home but blind. She eats well 3-4 times a day, I've been mixing lots of water into her food because she isn't drinking. She has yet to figure out the litter box but we are working on it. Question is, can I do anything to stimulate her eye sight?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Toodles

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

Ok. Why would I want to minimize you. I'm hoping you can give me some help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

I think that's all. She is now walking well, grooming herself and resting a lot. When she is out of her large carrier, she gets upset because she can't see. I let her roam around (running into things) until she gets upset and then I put her back in her carrier so she can calm down. I can deal with it if she is blind but am wondering if there is anything I can do to stimulate her vision and also what are the chances this will be permanent. Her eyes react to light.

11/12/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

How scary for you and Toodles! I'm so glad she was able to come home.

When an animal suddenly loses their sight, it can be quite an adjustment - animals that lose their sight slowly have more time to adapt.

Kittens are growing and more 'plastic' that they have a better chance of recovering their vision compared to an adult cat that has a similar episode. I don't know of any exact statistics of recovery of vision but I cna see if I can find anything on one of my veterinary resource sites.

Is there anything I can do to stimulate her eyes? IF she were to regain some (or all) of her sight, what is the time frame this would happen.

There is nothing I know of for stimulating things especially when it sounds like it could be related to oxygen deprivation.

Most will show improvement over a week to ten days, though I did have a close friend experience this last year and her kitten regained his vision after a few weeks. There is always the possibility it is permanent but the usually adapt fairly quickly if that is the case.

She was not deprived of oxygen.

When their heart stops, oxygen is not circulated like it should be, even if they are being given oxygen. Oxygen to the brain - it has to be pumped by the blood and CPR helps but they still don't always get oxygen to every place it needs to be.

For the litterbox, I would recommend putting her in there multiple times a day, standing on it seems to stimulate the feeling for them to go. Try to keep it in the same location so she starts to learn where it is.

I don’t understand “standing on it”

When their paws get the feel of litter underneath, that says to their brain, "Potty". So if we put them in the box several times a day, they will usually go to the bathroom there in case they couldn't figure it out on their own where it was.

That's also a good sign she is eating well, try to feed her in the same place and keep the water bowl in the same location. Feeding extra canned food is helpful for extra moisture until she learns where the water bowl is.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Thank you

You're welcome - hopefully Toodles just needs a little extra help and a little more time -

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth