Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My cocktails eye is very inflamed. We took him to the vet…

Customer Question
My cocktails eye is...

My cocktails eye is very inflamed. We took him to the vet and she said surgery? The bird is still active and eating and drinking. My question is is my bird make it through surgery.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

Sarah. I think around 6. He just came to my house 1 day.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
11/12/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr G, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G. I'm experienced with birds and I will try to help you out with Sarah.
Did your vet say what was wrong with the eye that it needs surgery?
Give me a few minutes to type up a further response.
She said it was an abscess or a tumor or cyst.
It would be helpful to know more about what surgery they want to do so I know how long the bird would likely be under for and how risky the procedure was.
In general, birds are definitely more of a risk than cats or dogs for anesthesia. Having a vet with a lot of experience with birds and anesthetizing them is very helpful for increasing the bird making it through. The shorter the procedure, the better too. Birds have to be monitored very closely, kept warm and it's important to keep stress down as well.
I can't really give you a percentage, but if you can respond with more about the problem, that would be helpful for me to give you more info.
But, if the bird really needs the surgery, it still would be best to do it if you trust your vet. Birds, especially, cockatiels are tough little guys and they can really surprise us what they can pull through.
Ok, I see your response. Are they looking to remove the eye then? This is a major procedure and care must be taken to get it done quickly and as safely as possible. It doesn't sound like your birdie can go without the surgery if the eye is that bad. If your vet has good bird experience and this is what they really recommended, I would do it.
There is definitely some risk involved and it's important to be aware of that.
Does this fully answer your question for you?
Not going to remove the eye. Just drain or remove what ever is there.
Oh good, that should be a quicker procedure with less chance of bleeding. I hesitate to call any bird surgery "safe" but this is a lower risk procedure as long as you have an experience vet and vet tech doing the anesthesia. You need to have this done to know what steps to take from here and how to fix the problem. I think this is a reasonable risk to take to get your birdie feeling better.

Hi there,

If I was able to answer your question, please give me a rating. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to assist you further.

'Thanks, ***** *****