Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I am concerned about my Syrian hamster. She is about eight…

Customer Question
I am concerned about...

I am concerned about my Syrian hamster. She is about eight months old and is bloated. There have been no droppings in her cage for a few days, however I put a piece of cucumber in her cage last night and this morning there are a couple of large droppings. She has more energy today but is there anything I can give her to speed her recovery?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your Syrian hamster?

She is constipated

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Syrian hamster?

She is bloated. 8 months old usually very active

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pet
11/10/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 5 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping small pets. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. You did the right thing by feeding your hamster some cucumber. To help her get better, continue to feed her a small amounts of moist foods. Some other ideas include a bit of apple with the peel, or strawberry, a few clover leaves from an unsprayed yard, a small piece of romaine lettuce leaf. Just keep the amounts small. She should receive foods like these several times a week normally, but give her a bit every day until this problem is solved. You can also give her a few drops of olive oil. Either put it on a treat she'll eat quickly or see if she'll lick the oil off your finger. Just don't give excessive amounts of anything or you could end up with diarrhea instead of constipation.

Make sure there's nothing in the cage that could be contributing to the problem. Hamsters will chew up and swallow things they shouldn't. Some of the products sold to make them a soft bed are actually quite dangerous. It's best to stick with a paper-based litter, such as CareFresh.

If the measures you can take at home don't help within a couple of days, it would be best to contact a vet. Your hamster may need an enema, or there could be a more serious problem, such as a tumor in the digestive system. Since she is eating and drinking, it won't hurt to try a few things at home. If your hamster quits eating or seems to be in pain before Monday, then you should take her to an emergency clinic.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know. I hope your hamster quickly returns to normal.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist