Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My male guinea pig keeps mounting the other to the extent of…

Customer Question
My male guinea pig...

My male guinea pig keeps mounting the other to the extent of fighting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** a little over 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cotton?

His ears are very red and genitalia send enlarged

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pet
11/9/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the ears and genitals?

What gender is the other guinea pig in with Cotton?

I can show a picture of hiz ears, but he wont stay still long nough fof me to get the one of his genitals. The other one is a male as well, although they were fine for the first two months ive had them. The people o got them from said it was a form of showing dominance, but just as of yesterday i had to seperate the two because it had escelated to a fight.

I'll stand by for pictures.

The ears may be red due to agitation. I am not seeing any sign of infection but if you see scratching, a head tilt, shaking of the head, rubbing against the cage, etc. this may be a sign of infection. As far as the swollen genitals and mounting, this sounds more like sexual aggression. Have you considered having Cotton neutered?

About how much is it to have him neutered? I was looking it up when I first got them but it recomended doing so at a young age. I figured he was too old to be able to do so.

It depends on where you're located. Each hospital sets their own prices. Typically $50-$150 is a reasonable expectation. The more experience the hospital has with exotics and the more urban the location typically the more expensive the price. If the genitals stay swollen, it would be wise to have him neutered. For the time being, I would separate the boys so there are no more spats. This won't address Cotton's aggression, but at least he won't be mounting the other boy and causing fights. It will be a short-term fix.

Do you need help finding a clinic local to you?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse