Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I rescued a 2 year old pitbull from anmial control. He is a

wonderful dog. I am disabled...
I rescued a 2 year old pitbull from anmial control. He is a wonderful dog. I am disabled, when i walk him he pulls me hard, and sometimes he wont go the bathroom out side. It has upset my landlord and now they are doing a 6 month lease, and may not extend my lease. My question is two-fold. 1. What is the best way to get him to stop pulling? 2. Whats the easiest way to get him not to go to the bathroom in the house?
10/19/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about Chase's history?

Do you have a back yard at the property you're living in now?

What type of setup are you using to walk him currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right now we live in a Apartment building. He has a collar and I use a leash to walk him. Chase was used in a dog fighting ring as a baitdog. When we got him he was severely underweight. He is the most loving dog in the world.

To clarify, this apartment does not have an area for dogs off leash, correct?

Do you know if Chase was kept on a chain, as many pitbulls are that fall in to fighting rings?

Has he ever used the bathroom on a leash?

Have harnesses, gentle leaders, etc. been tried?

Has Chase had any formal training?

What structured exercise is given, if any?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, they do not have a specified area. I think he may have been on a chain by the way he acts when I put his collar on. Yes he will occasionally go poop on the leash and will pee every time on the leash. I did try a harness but nothing further to date. I believe he has some formal training as he knows sit and shake paw. He goes out 2 times a day for a walk and 3 short outings to go to the bathroom

Pulling is often a sign of poor training and may also be a sign of over exuberance. As the saying goes: A tired dog is a good dog. Young bully breed (and bully breed mixes) are often very energetic and need structured exercise along side their owner training them to avoid pulling on the leash. I would strongly consider having Chase enrolled in obedience courses to help facilitate structure between you both and teach you to convey to him how to properly walk on a leash without pulling. I also recommend strong exercise 3-5 days a week if he's energetic. If this cannot happen with you directly, consider a doggy daycare where he can play with other dogs. I'm also a big fan of enclosed tennis courts and playing fetch, if he likes to retrieve.

As far as pulling consider the following used alone or together:

Gentle leader head harness: https://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

Halti No-pull harness: http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-gear/dog-harnesses/no-pull-dog-harnesses/halti-front-attachment-no-pull-harness.html

These can be used alone or together to help control his pulling while also training in good behavior.

As far as getting him to use the bathroom outside each time. This can be a bit more difficult in a dog who has spent time outdoors on a chain. I would give consideration to linking up two leashes and finding something you can attach Chase to such as a chain link fence, tree, etc. to give him the feeling of being connected to something stationary. He may have become accustomed to this in such a manner that he does not feel comfortable using the bathroom outside until this is done. Once connected to the stationary device, give him some time and walk away. Monitor from a distance. Try to use the same spot every time. As time goes on, you should be able to take Chase outside and walk him to the same spot you'd previously had him and he will potty. This can take months of work to overcome, so don't give up. Your efforts should be rewarded with persistence and time.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chase. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse