Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My beta Rosie has lost all her color, her tummy is distended…

Customer Question
My beta Rosie has...

My beta Rosie has lost all her color, her tummy is distended and she looks like a pine one . My girls and I are so sad. I want to make her well but don't know if she's in soo much pain already? Help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A beta fish

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the fish's name?

Rosie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?

No except she's made it through everything until now. We live in boise now and this is our first year in super cold. We used to live in Phoenix so maybe cold has hurt ger

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pet
I've kept her water at 76 to 78
Hello?? Is anyone there
Does anyone know about fish
10/18/2017
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 4 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear of Rosie's problem. Do you still need help? If so, let me know how she is doing now.

Thank you.

Anna

Thank you Anna but she died that night by my hand . I took the advice of a pet co employee and put a heater in her tank to supposidely warm the water while she was taking her meds for dropsy. It heated the water too much and now I feel awful .
I'm so sorry for your loss of Rosie. Please don't feel awful. You did not kill her. I want to explain more to you, but am at an appointment right now, and responding from a phone. I can't give you thorough information that way. As soon as I get home to my computer, I'll post some more for you.
Thank you. I look forward to your response.

I apologize for taking so long; it seems like specialist appointments always take hours. As soon as I read your original post, my first though was that poor Rosie wouldn't live more than a couple of days. Nothing you did or could have done was going to change that.

The diagnosis of dropsy was correct. But no matter what a pet store may tell you, there is no medicine for dropsy. It is almost always fatal. Being too cold or too warm might have stressed her, but it wouldn't have caused dropsy. The scales stick out because fluid has accumulated in the body. That can be caused by kidney failure or heart failure. There just is no treatment that is effective for those conditions in a fish. Kidney and heart failure occur most often in older fish, but sometimes even younger ones do get these. In a betta, anything over two years is considered elderly.

It sounds like you and your girls gave Rosie a good life. I hope that can give you a little comfort, but I know that nothing helps very much in this situation.

There are some things you can do to help your children work through this. They could make a scrapbook about her with any photos, perhaps poems they've written, pictures drawn, etc. I've found doing something like that helps many kids. They could also do any of those things individually if they don't want to do a whole scrapbook. If hands-on activities are more their style, a clay sculpture of Rosie might be good. If they like to do things online, here's a site where they could leave a memorial:

http://www.chancesspot.org/

But no matter what, I want you to know that you absolutely did not cause Rosie's death. One of her organs failed, and nothing could be done about it. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do is offer my condolences. I am so sorry. If there's anything else I can do, just let me know.

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist