Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My dog is now missing a small patch of hair on the right…

Hi, my dog is...

Hi, my dog is now missing a small patch of hair on the right side of her rump and it’s stained reddish pink with blood. For the past week or so she has been picking, nipping, and licking all around that area and also her tail, which also has an odd rough patch of hair on it. Any idea of what is causing this and how I could go about treating her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy, and she’s about 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She’s a Pomeranian and yorkie mix, she’s more of an indoor dog and

10/17/2017
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has Roxy ever had this before? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

She has not, and yes I am able to

Okay thank you I will wait for the picture. Based on what you are describing it sounds like she may have a hotspot.

Okay thanks for the picture. Just as I suspected it looks like a hot spot. A hot spot is a irritation typically caused by allergies which festers under the skin then becomes obvious once it becomes infected or hairloss happens. Most Hotspots have to be treated with some type of antibiotic and sometimes a steroid injection to help it go away completely

Ok, I see. Is there any antibiotic you recommend for me to get? Or do you suggest I take her to the vet for the injection? How serious is this hotspot of hers?

For any antibiotic you would need your veterinarian to give you a prescription. Common antibiotic used includes Simplicef, Cephalexin, or Clavamox. She may need the steroid injection to help with the itchy. In the meanwhile until you get her to the veterinarian you may want to get a cone so she can't lick the area anymore and you can probably spray hydrocortisone on the area to help calm it down some.

Dwight Alleyne
Alright, thank you very much for the help. One final question is, what do you think is probable cause of the allergy? I don’t recall anything different or unusual happen to her and she mostly just goes outside to pee or poop

You are very welcome. Most times you may never know the cause. But common issues include an overaction to an insect bite, or fleas. But anything they are briefly exposed to can produce a reaction whether it be grass, leaves, pollen, etch.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne