Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a South American cichlid. She has been listless for…

Customer Question
I have a South...

I have a South American cichlid. She has been listless for weeks in spite of water changes and additives. She has not been eating. She is about 6 or 7 years old. I can't exactly remember when I got her. I think she is dying and I don't want her to suffer. I have been reading online about all kinds of solutions, but I don't want to hurt her. Can you give me some advice about what to do? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cichlid. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cichlid?

She's the only fish I have - long story. But she is by herself in the tank. I think that's been hard on her too. We lost our other fish during Hurricane Sandy.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pet
10/17/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish well over 40 years.

JPlease give me a min to look over your question.

Joan

Hvae you checked the water parameters?

What size is the tank?

How big and what type do you have?

Any scale loss or other visible issues?

Joan