PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

One of our gerbils looks like he's dying. He looks

Hi. One of our gerbils looks like he's dying. He looks dehydrated and was laying next to the food bowl. He took some food and tried running down the ramp to their lower level and looked like he was drunk. I can tell that he's breathing differently. He's 6 years old. His brother seems fine but is staying away from the other one that's seems sick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the gerbil?
Customer: He looked fine a couple days ago. He does have an ear that looks a little deformed - which happened about a year ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think he just died. Eyes open & laying on side/back not moving.

Oh, no. Is he breathing?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should we take him out of the cage? His brother is still in there.

Please do. That will help us to determine if he's passed. The natural life span of a gerbil is about 4 years of age, so having made it to 6 is quite the feat.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What should I put him in?

If he's passed, are you intended to bury him? Have him cremated?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Bury.

Anything paper would be fine, such as a small tea box, butter box or similar.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How about a shoe box with paper towels in it?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. We are very sad.

That would be perfect. I am so sorry for your loss.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. His brother looks fine. Is the anything we should do for him? Clean his cage tomorrow?

It wouldn't hurt, especially if he seems bummed about the loss of his companion.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can tell he does. We will clean his cage & give him some treats.

That sounds like a plan. Often a change in routine and cage setup can change a pet's demeanor.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for taking the time to chat. It really did help.

You're welcome. I am very sorry for the untimely passing of your companion.