PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My hamster has started squeaking a lot when she never used

My hamster has started squeaking a lot when she never used to. She’s a teddy bear/syrian hamster. I’ve had her over a year and she used to never make any noise. Now she’s squeaking about 80% of the time or more. Also, I’ve noticed that when I’m holding her and she’s sleeping in my hands, sometimes she’ll suddenly start hiccuping which ends up waking her up. It never lasts very long though. Her food and bedding hasn’t changed. Does she need to go to the vet?

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here’s a video of her hiccuping.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/imq1ocp63r5a2ia/Video%20Sep%2026%2C%208%2006%2003%20PM.mov?dl=0And here’s a video of her squeaking.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7t77zdd2nzmh79/Video%20Oct%2001%2C%207%2059%2042%20PM.mov?dl=0

Do you hear squeaks with each of the hiccups?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No. Her hiccups are silent like it shows in the video.

Thank you for the additional information. I cannot tell you that the squeaking she's doing is not related to pain but quite often these types of "hiccups" are actually increased respiratory effort or coughs. I would recommend scheduling an examination for her and allowing a vet to listen to her chest with a stethoscope. I imagine they may wish to put her on a few days of antibiotics to see if this improves the sounds she's making and her demeanor. Do you have a vet who already sees your pocket pets or would you like help finding one?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay. Thank you so much for your insight. My parents know a vet that looks at hamsters so I don’t need a recommendation. I shall book an appointment asap. Thank you again!

Awesome news. Let me know if I can assist further. I hope she does well!