Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have a question for a bird veterinarian. I have a pet

Hello, I have a question for...
I have a question for a bird veterinarian. I have a pet rooster who was recently introduced to a new coop and 2 new chickens. Fast forward 2 days later and he seems to be sneezing and not crowing like usual. Do you think this is because of stress or he is ill. He wasfine2 days ago, but now has the symptoms above. There is no nasal discharge and his eyes are clear. Should I start a course of antibiotics or just watch him?
10/6/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, "both". Any stressor - and being introduced to a new flock is quite a stressor - can lower the resistance of a bird and infectious agents in the carrier state such as avian mycoplasmosis and chicken coryza (Haemophilus gallinarum) can come out of their carrier state and show clinical signs such as his sneezing and loss of voice. Most of these birds will normalize within a week or so and so I don't usually treat them. Should they not go into remission in the expected time or, indeed, worsen, presumptive therapy with the over the counter antibiotic tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 and dosed at 5-15mg per pound of body weight intramuscularly into the breast muscle once daily for 5-7 days can be helpful if the infection is due to the common avian mycoplasmosis or chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum). You should be able to find Tylan-50 in many feed stores or online. It may be labeled for cattle and swine but is appropriate for poultry as well. I’m not aware of any other over the counter antibiotics for poultry allowed to be sold nowadays. There is no egg withdrawal time necessary with this antibiotic.

Most important, your other birds have been exposed to these infectious agents and so you might see symptoms arise in them. Once again, they may not need to be treated. Remember, when introducing new birds to your flock it's best to quarantine them for a few weeks before allowing them to mingle. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

That's what I thought too. I will keep an eye on him and give an antibiotic if it doesn't clear in a few days. Thanks

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Ok- thank you

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian