Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My alpha female sugar glider died and the back of her head…

Customer Question
My alpha female sugar...

My alpha female sugar glider died and the back of her head my and everything inside are missing. The other 5 glider are acting scared. s

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sugarglider

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, my pets are sugar gliders or sugar bears fromy Australia. I have a colony of 5 now, 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the's name?

Sugar glider or sugar bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bear?

It's not a bear, it's a marsupial, that's related to the kangaroo but only weight about 140 grams, they are the size

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pet
10/4/2017
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best assist you today, JACustomer?

Want to know why the other sugar gliders are acting scared and biteing me when they haven't bitten sick they were babies. Also could one of my males killed her? Can they still all be together, I have 4 males, and 1 baby who is about 4 months out of pouch.

1) Are all the gliders related?
2) Are any of the males neutered?
3) Did the alpha female show any signs of illness?

I can't afford more. Do you think she just died and the others tried to remove her so they wouldn't get sick. She acted wobbly the day before. But I couldn't get her out of the pouch because she bit harf.

It sounds like the website has offered a call to you. This is not compulsory. As well, experts do not have control over that, nor do we see what you see on your end. Can you answer the questions I posted above 10 minutes ago, please? I can help you best with that additional information.

She was the mom of 4, 3 males and 1 female. I male is the dad. I had all the males I April But The First BORNOF The Pair, His Scent Gland On The Top Of His Head Never closed. So he may still be unneutered
Excuse the typing

To clarify, you took all the males in for surgical neutering?

Meant to tell you that all the males were neutered in April, all the scent glands closed up except one glider still has his scent gland on his head. All their pompoms were removed.

If the males were all neutered, it should be safe to keep them together without concern. I imagine the wobbling likely was the first symptom of ailment in your alpha female. Gliders can be opportunistic feeders and presented with access to protein one or more of them may well have contributed to the state the female was in when you found her. Her passing may well have precipitated concern amongst the remaining gliders. I would remove her body and allow the gliders to 3-5 days to calm down before disturbing them or attempting handling. Once this stress has passed, you should be able to resume normal contact with them and their personalities should have returned to normal.

It looks as though you've signed off for the evening. I will check back with you tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions before then.

Checking in. How are your remaining gliders doing following your alpha's most untimely passing?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse