Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

MY DRAWF HAMSTER HAS LOST ITS FUR ON BOTH SIDES OF ITS

MY DRAWF HAMSTER HAS LOST ITS FUR ON BOTH SIDES OF ITS STOMACH AND HAS A BUMP ON HIS CHEST THE SIZE OF A MARBLE.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: BUDGY IS ABOUT 1 1/2 YEARS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Budgy?
Customer: NO. HE ACTS PRETTY NORMAL.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....first the lump is very likely a tumor which can usually be removed by a vet that is skilled in hamster surgery. You will need to look for a vet in your area or if you tell me what city you reside in I can look for you.....

more to come about fur loss.....

If your little hamster has some bald spots, you’ll want to figure out what’s going on with him. In this article we explain common reasons for fur loss in hamsters.....

Friction

Does your pet spend a lot of time rubbing against his cage or toys? Is your little furball obsessed with burrowing? Excessive friction can cause Hammie to lose fur.

Nutritional Deficiencies

Another common reason for hamsters to lose fur is nutritional deficiencies. If Hammie’s diet is low in B Vitamins, this could the reason be behind his fur loss. Lack of protein can also sometimes cause issues with hamsters’ fur. If this is the case, your vet may recommend supplementing Hammie’s food with specific items, such as unsweetened cereal, cheese, cooked eggs, whole-wheat pasta, and fresh fruits and veggies. Water-soluble vitamins made for pocket pets may also be beneficial, but don’t give them to your little furball unless your vet specifically recommends it.

Parasites

Ticks, fleas, ringworm, and mites can all cause your little pet to lose fur. Hamsters with ectoparasites may itch and scratch themselves excessively, which can cause some of that soft fur to fall out. If you suspect your little pet has parasites, contact your vet immediately for assistance.

Shedding

Hamsters shed, or moult regularly. Spring and fall tend to be the peak times for this process. It is normal to see periods of thin fur at this time. Syrian and Russian hamsters tend to shed more than the Chinese and Roborovski types do.

Other Causes

There are several medical reasons your hamster could lose fur. T-cell lymphoma and kidney inflammations are two possible causes. Hormonal imbalances can also cause your little furball to lose some hair. Hamsters also sometimes lose their fur due to old age.

The best thing for you to do as you can read is to have a vet experienced in this to examine your little guy....let me know if I can help with that......DRB

If you do not currently have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Is this contagious to my guinea pig?

Unfortunately there is no way for me to know that for sure.....your hamster will have to have an exam to determine the exact cause.....best way to handle is to assume yes until you know otherwise.....I hope that makes sense...DRB

can I answer any other questions for you?