Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a rabbit n he has a sore on the side of his foot and…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a rabbit n he has a sore on the side of his foot and its swollen n red at top n surrounded by white my husband thinks i should burst it but idk what it is

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?

Hershey 3.5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hershey?

He's a mini rex n dies not stand on any word period so I don't think it's sore hocks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pet
10/1/2017
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has it been present?

Any history of trauma to this area?

Any pain when you press on it?

Is it hard, fluidy or soft?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

First noticed it last night no history of trauma to here he does look like he's in pain when it's touched n it feels hard arpu d maybe soft top at top I think there's puss in it will take a pic now to post

Hello again,

If you can post that, I'll keep and eye out for that.

Dr. B.

It's soft actually n I can't figure out how to post the pic

Thank you for that,

Now given the appearance, an abscess with a thickened skin overlying is suspect but we may also just have a callus here. Therefore, because there is possible callus (and with that possible joint involvement), we'd not want to open this. Especially as feet are a high risk region for continued infection even if we could drain any pus away (rabbits have toothpaste thick type abscess material). Therefore, I have to say that if Hershey was my patient, I'd want this assessed with a view to covering with antibiotics but also rabbit safe anti-inflammatories. That way we can treat this from the inside out and avoid risk of joint exposure or a festering wound we cannot get healing. Of course, if there is any delay having him seen, then warm compressing could be started but again this is one better treated from the inside out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you for ur advice but this poses my next question should I take him to get like tomorrow/this week (husband is In hospital too) or should I be taking him to an emergency vet today?

Hello again,

If he were seveely sore or there was any risk it would put him off food (an emergency for them), then we'd be best to have him seen today. Otherwise, of those arent' an issue, we can choose to wait when we can get him in to his local vet.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
He is still fine ty took him to the vet mom n he has a callous they just gave us some ointment to put on it n she shaved it some. Ty for easing my mind when I was frantic

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

That is great news for Hershey and I am glad I could give you peace of mind over the weekend.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*******************************************************

**Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**