Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Our koi fish has a growth coming out of it's mouth that

Customer Question
Our koi fish has...

Our koi fish has a growth coming out of it's mouth that looks like pink cauliflower.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Koi's name and age?

Her name is***** and she's about 9 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

She seems healthy and active and has a good appetite. The growth is about 3/4" round coming off her lower lip inside. I have a picture if that would help.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pet
9/28/2017
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 10 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have kept fish over 40 years.

What you are describing is a Virus that can attack fresh water fish. It is called Lymphocycits. It is not cureable. Reserchers in University of Florida have been experimenting with an antiviral drug to treat the problem and put it into remission. The medication used by The Vets at Gainsville, Fl is a human antiviral "Acyclovir" at the rate of 200 mg per 10 US gallons for 2 days.

This is some information on this virus: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

The best treatment with a viral issue is to keep Baby Jessie Stress free. It is self limiting. You can ask your Vet about the Medication I mentioned. The other option is seeking out a Koi Vet and see if they can surically remove the growth. This page has a list of Koi Vets in you scroll down the page:

http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/Koi-Vets.html

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan