Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

A 50 gallon tank with all ciclids and 1 pleco.One of the…

Hi Anna, A 50 gallon tank...
Hi Anna,
A 50 gallon tank with all ciclids and 1 pleco.One of the larger ciclids is swimming, or I guess hovering is better, straight up and he seems to be decaying. I am taking him out of the community, but what is the problem and how can I fix him?
9/27/2017
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello, and thank you for requesting me. Thank you for sending the picture. I'm working on some information for you, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. You are right that the fish seems to be decaying. He definitely has fin and tail rot. It looks like scales are coming off as well, but it's hard to tell from the picture. I assume you have a hospital tank since you plan to remove this fish from the community. I would treat the hospital tank with aquarium salt at the rate of one tablespoon per every five gallons of water. Then you can choose what else to do. You can try treating with MelaFix and PimaFix. These are mild and easy to find, but may not be effective in a case this severe. The other option is to use a broad- spectrum antibiotic. Most larger pet stores carry one or more brands, such as Maracyn. The exact brand doesn't matter. Just follow the directions.I believe you deserve honesty. Your fish is in very critical condition, and it may not be possible to save him. But I also believe that where there is life, there is hope, so we can do everything possible to help the fish.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I wish you success in treating this.Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist