Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I just bought a puppy on Friday and on Sunday started having…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a puppy on Friday and on Sunday started having a loose pool with blood. the vet didn't check the sample I took with me but he said that he thought it was just stress... he prescribed him panacur, probiotics and special food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?

It's his second day of treatment and I can still see a little bit of blood in his poo and it's still lose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

Ceasar h es 9 weeks old. little westie

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pet
9/26/2017
Pet Specialist: Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual. replied 10 months ago
Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the dog to dog or even mother to pup in the case of puppies. In other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms. I see your vet did go ahead and prescribe panacur which is a dewormer.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

Information on giardia

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.

Panacur can also help with some protozoan infections as well. Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine which can occur from stress. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Typically it is going to take a few days of treatment before you see improvement. In addition, if the food he was on chanced (now it is changed again) then that can also lead to looser stools with irritation and possible blood show from inflammation. Probitoics can help but also take longer than a few days to work effectively. I would give him at least a week with no change in diet or place of residence so his stress level emotionally and on his gastrointestinal system has time to settle.

If he develops additional symptoms such as vomiting or a loss of appetite, then I would have him reseen sooner. I would expect improvement within a week though.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.