Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My ferret is eating well and all bowel movements seem normal…

My ferret is eating...

My ferret is eating well and all bowel movements seem normal but his stomach feels firm and he seems a little more lethargic than usual. He also has a spot on his back that he scratches a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your ferret. What is the ferret's name and age?

Spike and almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?

The spot on his back he has scratched so much he made it bleed. I cleaned it and it is healed over now

9/26/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any visible abnormality in the size of the abdomen?

Any pain when you feel it?

Any potential for having torn up any toys or ingested something he should not have eaten?

Can you share a picture of the wound?

Perhaps the easiest and most prompt approach is going to be scheduling a visit with your vet for an examination and possibly also x-rays. This can help your vet determine if he consumed something which might be causing the firmness in his abdomen. We don't always witness pain, even with full or partial blockages. The firmness and lethargy may be the most strong indicators here. Failing this, feeding a food higher in fiber may help move through ingested items like toys. You can add 1 tsp of pure canned pumpkin to his diet at each meal and see if this helps over 3-5 days. If he worsens, an examination is certainly needed.

How long has the wound been present?

The wound was present for about two weeks before it healed over.

I would trim this area back with a pair of human hair clippers, if you have them on hand, and use a small dab of regular Neosporin 2x daily and rub it in well. The area may be a place where he's become irritated, he received a bite from an insect, etc. With time it should heal on it's own.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse