Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I'm up worrying my self over my bunny. I noticed two days…

Hi Pearl, I'm up...

Hi Pearl, I'm up worrying my self over my bunny. I noticed two days ago that she had a lot of poopy build up on her. If never seen this, so I tried to clean her up and bit and she wouldn't have it. I figured it was just a bit that got stuck. Today I noticed shwbis very poopy. So I called her flipped her over to spot bathe her and hoped to trim out the poop clumps. However when I did this, I noticed her female areas are insanely swollen, she did not seem tender to the touch, as I tried to clean her as well as I could. I nmiticed in the creates what looks to be friend bloody clumps. I only hand Neosporin on hand so I did dab just a bit. But now I'm so worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flipped?

Oh , sorry. I meant I turned her over. Her names aurora. She just turned two. Has never had an issue. I just took away her pellets and will stick to hay. I did notice hardly any water out of her bottle is gone.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you!
Sorry for the typos! My phone keyboard is not not being very helpful. I hope you were able to make sense of that
Also she is full house bunny. Litter box trained, but in her hutch in the evenings. She is not an outside bunny. No other pets . Nor other bunnies

No problem with the typos, I do it all the time !

Busy typing out your answer now.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Flipped has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is something which any vet who deals with rabbits will be familiar with. The chances are she has some form of coccidia infection and this has caused her poop to be abnormal and soft, you then see the clumping at her rear end, this in turn causes inflammation and irritation to her general hind end area. Even rabbits which are kept on their own can contract this as they always have a low level of parasites such as coccidia in their intestinal tract, normally their immune system keeps them at a low level but now and again it gets out of control with the results you have seen.

2. You are doing right to control her diet for now but the best thing is to have a local vet check her over, they may want a faecal sample to check what is going on but if it is coccidia or some other intestinal parasite or bacteria then this can usually be sorted out with prescription drugs. The aim here is to get her bowel function back to normal.

3. In the meantime until you can get to a vet you have the inflammation and irritation at her hind end to cope with, until you can get to your vet you can thoroughly and gently wash the area with luke warm salt water, then dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper, and then apply the likes of Neosporin, that should be safe enough. Do this twice a day.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott