How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 21447
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog licked Tomcat rat poison on my neighbors side

This answer was rated:

I think my dog licked Tomcat rat poison on my neighbors side of fence. Didn't but
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: Didn't bui
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He didn't eat it just licked I think

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear that he may have licked rat poison in your neighbor's yard. If you're not sure if he licked it or possibly ate a pellet of poison, the best thing to do is have him seen in person and evaluated by the vet, plus have a basic blood test performed, so you know for sure how he's doing. They can give him an antidote, Vitamin K, to stop any internal bleeding, if this is necessary.

Rat poison contains a substance that stops the clotting of the blood and that's how it kills the rats or other animals that ingest it.

It's better to err on the side of caution and have him checked out in person, so you can be sure his blood count, kidneys and behavior is normal.

I would recommend just monitoring him at home, but in this case, the bleeding is internal and often, there are no symptoms until it's too late, so that's why I'm recommending a visit to his regular vet or an ER vet center, now.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear that he may have licked rat poison in your neighbor's yard. If you're not sure if he licked it or possibly ate a pellet of poison, the best thing to do is have him seen in person and evaluated by the vet, plus have a basic blood test performed, so you know for sure how he's doing. They can give him an antidote, Vitamin K, to stop any internal bleeding, if this is necessary.

Rat poison contains a substance that stops the clotting of the blood and that's how it kills the rats or other animals that ingest it.

It's better to err on the side of caution and have him checked out in person, so you can be sure his blood count, kidneys and behavior is normal.

I would recommend just monitoring him at home, but in this case, the bleeding is internal and often, there are no symptoms until it's too late, so that's why I'm recommending a visit to his regular vet or an ER vet center, now.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Sorry for the duplicate answer, but the rating button was inactive when I sent my first answer. Thank you for your understanding.

Cher and other Pet Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your great rating; it is highly appreciated!

I hope everything will be fine with your companion!

Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher